Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

Sharon Van Etten
Are We There
27 May 2014
Jagjaguwar

4 stars out of 5

 
Coming a couple of years after her acclaimed Tramp, Sharon Van Etten’s fourth LP, Are We There, is a step forward in both composition and intensity. The songs here are all angry muscle and dark stares, just as ready to cut you and let you bleed out as they are to do your dishes and hang out watching TV on your couch. There’s no warm nostalgia here, just pain and scars; nor is there regret or self-pity, just a list of the hard facts.

“Taking Chances” is as good a dark love song as any that’s come out in the last few years. Its retro electric organ percussion is deceptive: this song is not happy times. Nor is the next track, “Your Love Is Killing Me,” in which Van Etten delivers with a powerful wail, “break my legs so I won’t walk to you, cut my tongue so I can’t talk to you, burn my skin so I can’t feel you, stab my eyes so I can’t see.” Starting to get the idea? The album’s closer, “Every Time the Sun Comes Up,” is an instant classic, timeless in its composition but fresh and new in its execution.

It’s rare to have such unmasked emotion in a recording these days, and to have an artist confident enough in her songs to fill them with only her voice and her words rather than with a thousand little embellishments. Are We There is a strong statement, one that leaves you with new bruises with each listen, and I, for one, will probably be covered with bruises by the year’s end because of it.

reviewed by Richard Krueger

No comments:

Post a Comment